ProWritingAid

Writing Improvement Software

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

'Twas The Night Before Christmas

Actually, it's 3am Christmas morning, and in 3 hours I'll be buttering up, and salting down, a beautiful Butterball turkey. But, with 3 hours yet to kill, I thought I'd "Zen" out for awhile and pass on my thoughts for the New Year, though it's still a week away.
I'll be wishing for prosperity for so many Indie authors who have opted to maintain their independence from traditional publishing. As I continue to read more and more of these books, it's obvious that too many would not have made it into the acceptance bin.
Why, you ask? Not because they weren't well written, and certainly not because they were bad stories, but because traditional publishers, though they will be quick to tell you otherwise, aren't as up with the times as Indie authors. The new genre catagories that have cropped up due to independent publishing has been amazing, and I can easily imagine a publisher taking one look at the blurbs of some of these books in stark confusion and tossing it aside. If it didn't neatly fit into one of their pre-assigned catagories, it was deemed unacceptable, without further ado.
I suspect that traditional publishing will catch up fast enough, though, and while indie publishing hasn't hurt them too much, yet, it's actually been a boon for them in some respects. It is now easier for them to get the pick of the litter more quickly, and any clever publisher with a sharp eye would be out scouring the web- Amazon and Smashwords, as well as a few others, to see who would be a good candidate for their publishing house.
Self-publishing is hard work, extremely time consuming, and the temptation to throw it all into a publisher's hands just so you can get back to doing what you love most, is ever present. The choice is yours, of course, but for me, I prefer to do it my own way...for now.
The day may come when that is a more attractive option for me, but it's not right now, the suffering is still what fuels my ambition to get it right, my way.
I wish you all a Happy New Year, and a most prosperous one! www.chameleon-author.com Chameleon Author

No comments:

Post a Comment